Friday, October 21, 2016

October 21, 2016: Darting To and Fro

            Made some more progress on the vest over the last few days.
            The first thing I needed to do was permanently secure the interfacing to the insides of my pattern pieces. If you recall from my previous post, I’d pinned them all together in preparation for this step. The actual process is pretty simple: you lay the pieces out on an ironing board with the interfacing side up, place a damp cloth over top of them, and then press with an iron. This activates the adhesive on the interfacing to secure it to the fabric. It’s recommended to leave the iron in place for 10-15 seconds, then lift it off the cloth, move to a new section, and then place it back down. This helps to prevent the interfacing from accidentally shifting around, which could happen if you try gliding the iron around, and gives the adhesive time to heat up enough to work.

            That being done, there are several features that need to be located on the vest front, such as: pockets, buttons, button holes, and darts. The locations of all of these things are on the patterns, but of course I needed some way to accurately transfer them to the fabric. What I ended up doing was laying the patterns over the fabric pieces and poking holes through the paper to mark the start and end points of each line with a pencil (I chose a pencil because I didn’t want to take a chance on ink bleeding through the front of the fabric and crayons wouldn’t be sharp enough to poke through the paper without destroying it – I hope I made the right call!). Since the interfacing is white, the pencil marks showed up well enough to be useable. Then I used a ruler to draw the lines connecting the points (which will represent stitch lines and cut lines for later).

            Once that was done, the pattern instructions said to start by sewing the darts. For those who don’t know, darts are folds in the fabric that you stitch in to provide some shaping. In this case, they take the form of the long, narrow wedges you see below.

            Because these are so narrow that I wasn’t confident of being able to do them on the machine, I decided to hand stitch them. And let me tell you: that can be pretty tedious. The process took me about three hours, though I wasn’t working very efficiently on account of watching TV, eating dinner, and responding to a toddler’s repeated requests for food and drink throughout the process. But I completed the darts, and then the next step was to press them flat with an iron.
            So that’s where I am as of today. The next step is working on the pockets.

Cost of supplies: $82
Time: 15hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment